Braised Red Cabbage Recipe
Red cabbage is underrated, prepared in the right way it can provide a rich festive colour and flavour, more inspiring than the usual Savoy. One major benefit is that red cabbage can be put in a pan on the stove and kept warm, a crucial factor if you are struggling for space at Christmas as it takes the pressure off the oven.
Cooking & Prep Time:
Produces approximately 3.5kg.
- Cut the red cabbage into quarters, remove the stalk, finely shred with a large chopping knife. (Our prepared shredded red cabbage will save you time at this stage).
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the garlic and onions, sweat for 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the cabbage and stir, ensuring the onions and cabbage are mixed together.
- Add the spices and sugar, followed by the red wine vinegar, and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the diced apples, place a tight-fitting lid on the pan, cook on a low heat on the stove, stirring occasionally.
- The cabbage will take approximately 2 to 2.5 hours to cook. It can also be braised on a low heat in the oven.